Group Underwriter (4633)
Group Medical Services
Passionate about servicing Group clients? Here is your opportunity to prove it.
Helping you feel protected and live well for sixty-five years, GMS (Group Medical Services), Canada’s health and travel insurance expert, has an immediate career opportunity for a dynamic group focused underwriter.
We are seeking an experienced individual to take a key role on our Group Underwriting team to support the achievement of GMS strategic objectives in Group Insurance. As a Group Underwriter, you will have the opportunity to analyze risk and help design customer-focused solutions. You will be a curious, focused and motivated individual looking for more challenge and responsibility plus an opportunity to grow and learn.
This position reports to the Manager, Group Underwriting.
- Analysis and pricing of group quotes and renewals less than 500 lives; seeking approval on cases outside authority limits
- Risk analysis and quote preparation for all lines of group insurance business including health, dental, life and disability
- Data entry and validation for new quotes and renewals
- Provide a written narrative of the analysis for each renewal completed of which a persuasive summary is provided to the Underwriting Coordinator to present in the renewal package
- Effectively negotiate renewal and quote pricing as required with Sales and their clients
- Pricing of plan alternatives both on and off renewal; incorporating plan experience where applicable
- Appropriately respond to technical and/or risk questions from our internal partners as well as our external sales partners.
- Coordinate with the Underwriting Analyst on renewal and/or adhoc report requests
- Annual review of UW guidelines to ensure they remain current and competitive and delegate to the Underwriting Coordinator to have the documents updated.
- Review and update renewal procedure manual
- Informal leadership in mentoring and delegating appropriate underwriting tasks to the Underwriting Coordinator
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to review and discuss requests, both written and verbal, to successfully negotiate renewal and quote rate action
- Solid problem solving abilities for potentially abstract issues and concerns, being able to see both sides of a situation to ensure the best outcome for all parties
- Taking initiative within the team to accomplish tasks independently and collaboratively; solution problems and provide pro-active feedback on various topics
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment; deadline driven ensuring timeliness and quality of work
- Results focused as this role plays into the successful achievement of annual sales and retention targets
Education & Experience
- Degree in one of the following (Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences, Statistics, Business Admin)
- GBA is required, CEBS would be considered an asset
- 3+ years of Group Underwriting Experience is required; previous experience in risk assessment would be considered an asset